The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act ( also known as the Affordable Care Act and “ObamaCare”) was passed by Congress and signed into law on March 23, 2010. The ACA was enacted to increase the quality and affordability of health insurance, lower the uninsured rate by expanding public and private insurance coverage, and reducing the cost of healthcare for individuals and government. The AME Church is committed to providing information, education about the ACA and facilitating opportunities for enrollment.
The open enrollment period for 2015 begins November 15, 2014 and ends February 15, 2015.
The plan is for local churches to work with and through as many partner agencies as possible to maximize the community’s access to insurance coverage.
RESOURCES to Help You
(www.enrollamerica.org). Enroll America is a non profit, non partisan 501 (c)(3) organization focused on maximizing the number of Americans who are enrolled in and retain health coverage. Enroll America is partnering nationally with the AME Church.
- Trey Daly, State Director for Ohio. TDaly@enrollamerica.org
- Bill England, State Director for Pennsylvania. WEngland@enrollamerica.org
- Kate Doehring, National Director (covers WV). KDoehring@enrollamerica.org
Navigators are individuals or organizations trained to help consumers as they look for health coverage through the marketplace including completing eligibility and enrollment forms. They are required to be unbiased and provide services free to consumers.
- Ohio. Ohio Association of Foodbanks, Jason Elchert, Deputy Director, 101 East Town Street, Suite 540, Columbus, Ohio 43215, (614)221.4336 x. 224
- Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania Association of Community Health Centers, 1035 Mumma Road, Lemoyne, Pennsylvania 17043. (717)761.6443
- Pennsylvania Mental Health Consumers Association, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania 17111 (717)564.4930
- West Virginia. Advance Patient Advocacy, LLC. http://wwwaparesults.com/
- National Healthy Start Association (has grants for West Virginia and Wisconsin) 1411 K Street, NW, Suite 1350, Washington DC 20005 (202)296.2195
- Clay-Batelle Health Services Association, 5861 Mason Dixon Highway, Blacksville, WV 26521
Health Education Materials and Resources Designed for Communities of Color
U S Department of Health and Human Services Office of Minority Health Resource Center
1.800.444.MHRC (free materials, data, grant information, etc.)
There are State Offices of Minority Health that can provide a variety of services and resources. The scope of these offices vary per state.
- Ohio Commission on Minority Health. Angela Cornelius Dawson, Executive Director. 77 South High Street, Columbus, Ohio 43215 (614)466.4000 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pennsylvania Office of Health Equity, Dr. Hector Ortiz, Director, 625 Forster Street, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania 17120 (717)547.3481 email@example.com
- West Virginia Office of Minority Health, Taya Williams, Director, 350 Capitol Street, Room 224, Charleston, WV 25301 (304)356.4243 firstname.lastname@example.org
Churches should use the reporting form on this site to document monthly activities. Forms should be sent to email@example.com.